By Twisted Shamrock Studios & Spa
Microneedling is a cosmetic procedure that has been gaining popularity in recent years. It involves the use of fine needles to create microscopic punctures in the skin. This triggers the body’s natural healing process, which results in the
production of new collagen and elastin.
Microneedling can be used to treat several concerns, including fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, and stretch marks. It is a safe and effective alternative to more invasive procedures, such as laser resurfacing.
If you are considering microneedling, then this guide is for you. We will provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision, including the benefits and risks of the procedure, as well as what you can expect during and after treatment.
How Often Should I Receive Treatments?
The frequency of treatments will depend on your individual needs and the results you desire. Generally, a series of three to six treatments, spaced four to six weeks apart, is recommended to achieve the best results.
After the initial series of treatments, you may want to consider maintenance treatments every three to six months to retain your results. However, if you're treating deep wrinkles or severe acne scarring, your skin care provider may recommend more frequent treatments.
It's important to speak to your skincare provider to determine the best treatment plan for your individual needs. They will be able to advise you on the recommended treatment frequency and potential benefits and risks associated with the procedure.
What Can I Expect from My Microneedling Treatment?
Before undergoing microneedling, it is important to speak to your skincare expert to learn more about what you can expect. Generally, a numbing cream is applied to the treatment area to reduce discomfort and the practitioner then applies a hydrating serum or solution to the skin to prepare it for the treatment.
Once the skin is prepared, a handheld device is passed over the treated area using light pressure. It is common for the needle tips to puncture the skin hundreds of times a minute. To enhance the effect of microneedling, a nourishing product is applied to the skin immediately following the procedure.
The treatment usually lasts between 30 minutes and two hours depending on the size of the treated area and the desired results. Some redness, irritation and dryness may be experienced after the procedure; however, symptoms usually subside within a few days.
In general, microneedling sessions should be spaced apart by 4-6 weeks, depending on the area of treatment and desired results. Depending on the skin problems that need to be addressed, the number of treatments can range anywhere from 2-8. After an initial examination, your dermatologist or plastic surgeon can recommend the frequency and number of treatments best suited to your unique needs.
Each microneedling session is tailored to the individual and their desired results. Depending on the area of treatment and desired results, specialists may recommend sessions spaced apart by 4-6 weeks. However, the number of treatments needed can vary anywhere from 2-8 depending on the skin issues that need to be addressed.
It is important to speak to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon before commencing any microneedling treatments. They will be able to examine the area of treatment and recommend the best treatment plan and the frequency and number of treatments needed to achieve the desired result. Following an initial examination, they will be able to advise on the best course of action and make sure that the treatments are tailored to individual needs.
The results of microneedling will depend largely on the area of treatment, the number of sessions, and individual skin conditions. In general, you can expect to see a reduction in wrinkles, fine lines, and other visible signs of aging. Additionally, areas impacted by acne scarring may appear less inflamed and lumpy. Sunspots, age spots, and other forms of pigmentation may lighten. In terms of skincare, those with dry and dehydrated skin typically report an increase in hydration and overall improvement in skin texture.
It is possible to see some results after a single treatment session. However, it is more likely that you will start noticing improvement after several sessions. After completing all sessions, it is important to maintain results with a proper skincare routine. This should include a topical sunscreen to protect the skin. Additionally, it is important to remember that microneedling does not provide permanent results. As the skin continues to age, further treatments may be needed to maintain desired results.
In some cases, additional sessions may be recommended to maintain results. For instance, if you are using microneedling to reduce wrinkles or reduce acne scarring, you may need to have additional touch-up treatments periodically to prevent the reappearance of wrinkles or scarring.
In some cases, additional sessions may be recommended to maintain results. Depending on the area and severity of treatment, further sessions may be necessary at regular intervals to keep the desired results. A lot of people benefit from microneedling, but not everyone gets the same results. Everyone’s skin is different and individual progress can vary quite a bit. If a patient doesn't see the desired results after the allotted number of sessions, the doctor may recommend additional treatments, or other alternatives such as laser treatment or chemical peels, depending on the type of skin condition.
It is important to consult with your doctor to determine if microneedling is the right treatment plan for you, and how many sessions you may need to complete. It is also essential to maintain the skin after the treatment. That way, the results can be enjoyed for many years to come.
Maintenance of Results After Microneedling Treatment
When it comes to microneedling, maintenance is key. Once you have completed your treatment sessions, there are steps that you can take to maintain your results. Here are some of the best strategies for maintaining results after microneedling:
- Continue to use gentle skincare products. Products such as cleansers, moisturizers, and sunscreen should all be chosen carefully, as they can influence the results of microneedling over time.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure. Avoiding prolonged exposure to the sun is important to maintain the results of microneedling. Sun damage can reverse the desired effects of the treatment and can be especially damaging to skin areas that have been treated.
- Consider additional treatments. Depending on the skin condition, additional sessions may be necessary to maintain desired results long-term. It is important to consult with your doctor to determine how much treatment is necessary for maintaining the results.
- Keep your skin hydrated. Moisture is an essential factor in skin health and should be maintained regardless of your treatment history. It is important to use effective topical products such as moisturizers and serums to keep the skin hydrated.
Overall, microneedling is a safe and effective process that can improve many skin-related issues. It is a minimally invasive procedure that is used to target conditions such as wrinkles, scars, large pores, dark spots, and other signs of skin aging and sun damage. Microneedling works by stimulating collagen production and skin and repairing it, thereby improving the appearance and texture of the skin.
However, it is important to be sure to consult with your doctor or dermatologist before scheduling your treatment. They can provide you with the right advice and the best treatment plan to fit your needs.
Recovery and Aftercare for Microneedling
Once the treatment is complete, you will likely experience redness and slight swelling for about 24-48 hours afterward. Other potential side effects can include mild bruising and temporary discoloration. To keep your skin healthy during the recovery process, here are a few aftercare tips to follow:
1. Keep the treated area clean. Avoid picking at any dry skin or scabs that may form due to the treatment.
2. Avoid direct sunlight exposure and any other heat sources, such as tanning beds, heat lamps, or saunas.
3. Avoid wearing any makeup or using exfoliants on the treated area for 72 hours after treatment.
4. Avoid using any harsh skincare products and opt instead for gentle cleaning.
5. Keep your skin moisturized and use a mineral sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher when outdoors.
It is also advised to wait a few days before returning to any strenuous physical activity, as this can cause irritation to your skin and potentially lead to subsequent inflammation. The results of microneedling are visible in about a week and can last for up to two years if combined with regular treatments and maintenance skin care.
Types of Conditions That Can Be Treated with Microneedling
Many skin conditions can be treated using microneedling. Some of the most common conditions are:
1. Acne Scars - Microneedling helps diminish acne scars by boosting collagen production and creating tighter skin.
2. Age Spots - Age spots can be lightened or removed with microneedling by helping reduce the production of melanin, the pigment responsible for coloring our skin.
3. Hyperpigmentation - This condition occurs when the skin becomes darker than usual in certain areas due to excessive production of melanin. Microneedling helps reduce melanin production and improves overall skin tone.
4. Stretch Marks - Stretch marks appear when the skin is stretched beyond its limit. Microneedling helps reduce the appearance of stretch marks by boosting collagen production and smoothing out the skin.
5. Fine Lines and Wrinkles - Microneedling helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by stimulating collagen production and tightening the skin.
These are just a few of the many skin conditions that can be treated through microneedling. Ultimately, the best course of action to take depends on the severity of the affected area and the desired outcome. It is recommended that you speak with a qualified dermatologist or skincare professional to discuss the best treatment option for your individual needs.
CANDELA EXCEED MICRONEEDLING SERVICES COMING SOON TO TWISTED SHAMROCK STUDIOS & SPA!
CALL 484-574-8868 or EMAIL ADMIN@TWISTEDSHAMROCKSTUDIOSPA.COM TODAY TO SCHEDULE YOUR FREE MICRONEEDLING CONSULTATION!